2.20.2014

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe Unit

We finished reading the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe in early December, and I'm realizing now that sharing all the details of our school projects is like adding a chore on top of the work. So I doubt I'll share very many of our study units - but here's a bit of what we did for our introduction to Narnia.

1. We listened to about two chapters each day. Chapters 1 and 2 are here, to find the rest go to the main page of Under the Grapevine.

2. I found some free Lapbook stuff here:
http://homeschooladventures3.blogspot.com/2010/09/lapbook-lion-witch-and-wardrobe.html

3. There's a fancier lapbook you can buy here with more writing pages for older kids:
http://www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com/blog/2012/12/lion-witch-and-the-wardrobe-unit-study.html

It turns out, I'm not really into lapbooks. Maybe its the age of my kids, but it seems like too much cutting for me, and not enough stuff for them. Plus, I don't like all the clip art people use, and I ended up printing some of the original illustrations from the book and pasting them over the clip art - which was just more unnecessary work (for me, not the kids!). Still we like a lot of the ideas and activities other people come up with, so we use them as starting points. We ended up assembling most of our work into a folder instead.



4. Cool map of narnia to print: http://folk.uio.no/solveii/NarniaMap.jpg

5. Really excellent traditional turkish delight recipe (not too many ingredients) with a video: http://titlisbusykitchen.com/archives/turkish-delight

I just felt like we HAD to make turkish delight. To talk about foods from other times and places, to get our hands dirty, to try this thing I'd never had. I was prepared for it to be not awesome, so I think I was pleasantly satisfied.

I bought rose water online because it seems to be the most traditional form, and probably what Edmund had, but I'd like to try it again with a cinnamon version because my kids are more likely to eat that. I really did like the turkish delight, and we all loved making it. It was a really cool process. It got dry and gooey (do those go together) after  a few days, and so we ended up throwing most of it out. So maybe make a half recipe next time? Or share with friends?



On to Prince Caspian!
...well, maybe in a few months. :)

No comments: