7.06.2012

Let's Draw Funny Faces: a little book


If you sat next to me in high school, or college, at the dmv or anytime when I was on the phone - you probably know I like to doodle silly faces.


They were like legos for me. I'd start with eyes, and then figure out where a nose would fit. Then you'd begin to see a personality, so I'd draw a mouth to match. The features would define the facial structure, so building the cheeks and chin around them was a natural next step. This was a lot of fun for me, addictive and endless. I never knew what the faces would look like when I started, and there were never two alike. 


I've been wanting to make a little book like this for a long time, ever since I woke up in the middle of the night with the memory of that funny cartoon book from the 80's with different eyes, noses and hairstyles, that you trace to make a million different characters? Remember that? I forgot the title. 



Anyway, after making L's drawing book, I was on a roll. I made this book in an afternoon. It's by no means exhaustive, but a handy little reference, let's say. It's not necessarily meant for kids like the last one, it has more words and more complex shapes. Mostly, this was just fun to make, and I hope it will be fun to draw from!


Like the other drawing book, it only includes minimal space for drawing, so it's best if paired with a blank book. Download your copy here, available until July 25th. The book is available in the shop. See my tips for making books in the previous post.

What do you doodle?

No comments: