5.04.2011

Happy Crowns


I'm off to put the last of the crowns in the mail this morning, and I just wanted to say thanks to all of you for participating in my little project.  We gave away 130 crowns and met some amazing kids.  Have a look at the crowns, and be sure to scroll down and down and down.  It's like a happy little rainbow - it always makes me smile.  The crowns are in the order that they were given, so you can see how my color and style choices changed, as well as my photog skills. (And maybe you can spot the donated chunk in the middle, thanks Mom!)

Assorted reflections: 
  • When you do something nice for others, you just can't help but be blessed by it yourself.  I feel a bit selfish because I think I got more out of this than anyone.  I really can't say thank you enough. 
  • Everyone needs compassion.  True, not everyone's needs are equal, but sometimes little things feel just as dire, especially for children.
  • A charitable project probably runs more smoothly when you have a clear recipient in mind.  I ended up hunting down kids to give crowns to.  :)
  • I can find much more time to sew than I ever thought I could.  Sometimes a challenge is all you need.  
  • "Joy comes, grief goes, we know not how." - James Russell Lowell 

Maybe I'll have some reflections on turning 30 later.  This seems like enough for one day.  I'd love to hear yours. 

    3 comments:

    Plushpussycat said...

    Happy birthday! Your crowns are amazing, and your crown project will always touch me! Love your sweet crown models today! :-)

    Sara said...

    Happy Birthday! Our crown brought us so much joy at a very critical time. Thank you so much Laura!

    Rebecca said...

    Happy 30th! What a lovely thing you did for so many people. I hope this year brings you many unexpected treasures.

    Theo and I just love our crowns... When it looks like it's going to be a tough day we put them on for breakfast. Somehow, it always seems to help. I'm sure our angel Vincent gets a kick out of it too!