We have our formal school time in the morning right after breakfast because the girls are both willingly sitting at the table, and we're all still in good moods. It's a great way to start the day, and always puts me in a productive mood. It usually lasts 15 minutes to an hour, depending on how much fun they're having. Each week we focus on a letter and most of our projects relate to the letter. Every day, I hang their coloring projects on the wall next to the table, so we can talk about them at dinner when John gets home. I also try to make sure I work in other activities during the day, which I guess is more like unschooling. But it helps me to remember to do them if I make it part of our pre-school goal.
Some of our resources and activities:
- my Phonics Coloring Book, and the full size sheets
- listen to a weekly bible reading and a corresponding Bible coloring page
- Letter Virtue coloring pages (sweet drawings by another homeschooling mom)
- free coloring pages from here or here
- painting letters on large scale, and just paint for fun. This is how I taught Louise to write her name, she's really into black.
- read together for about 30 minutes
- constructive play (legos, play dough, or playing outside)
- pickup toys and put away plates at meal times