1.15.2011

Coming of Age

So, I promised to update you on my new opportunity.

Celebrating my contract with marmalade
I'm working with Lark Crafts to write a sewing pattern book full of plush toys with clever, interactive designs - including, among others, my Smile Crocodile, Peekaboo Turtle, several Flip Doll patterns, and loaded with new patterns.  You won't see the book until 2013, but this year I'll be knee deep in new designs and pretty fabrics.

This is a big year for me.  I'm writing a book, John's building our house, and I'm turning 30!  I feel nervous about aging sometimes, but this year feels like my coming-of-age adventure.  I know it will be a challenge to balance my designing with being a mother, as it always is.  And there are so many other things I'd like to be doing (...helping John with the house, traveling, returning to school, painting - sigh), but I'm also feeling more peace about the time that life takes.  I'm grateful that I have many adventures waiting to follow this one.

So, what did you do to celebrate turning 30?  I'd like to do something special this year - like a trip or an event.  But I'm not sure what.  Something coming-of-age-y.  Any ideas?

7 comments:

Chara said...

I love this picture of you and L.

I can't actually remember what I did for my 30th birthday, besides having breakfast with Tara.

What I think I'm not ever going to forget about this post, "I'm feeling more at peace about the time that life takes." I really want to get there.

Anonymous said...

I loved 30. I didn't do anything big to celebrate it - I just got together with my friends at my favorite bar and enjoyed their company. :)

Anna @ Blue Dirt said...

Ww! I turned 30 and am building a house with my husband as well! For my celebration I took 2 friends to Chicago for a weekend of fun!

rilojane said...

There seems to be something "coming of age" to going to some fancy brunch, or buying a bag specifically to match a pair of shoes.

The 30's have been good so far. And I think it's a great time to be 30. Maybe I'm just in my little box, but it seems like now is prime. Shouldn't life *always* feel like that?

Laura said...

Thanks for the suggestions - I want to do something to mark the time, but not necessarily a big thing. Hmm...

Anna - it seems like we have a lot in common. :)

Brittany said...

Our friend Clayton turned 30 this past fall and he got a group of us to go to a Rangers (baseball) game together to celebrate. It was really fun. Let us know what you come up with!

I'm so excited about your book opportunity!! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Papgena Made It said...

Congratulations! It certainly seems you are going to have a full year! :) I'm looking foward to see your projects!
Where was I ten years ago?
I started my favourite part of my life so far: this last decade!

:)