12.24.2009

Crazy Amazing Banana Chocolate Waffles


A little Christmas Eve fun. Crispy outside, soft inside, crazy good. I think they're yummy plain, but butter and maple syrup are good, too. I started from this recipe. Below is my version.

John is spending the day in the garage finishing the girls' Christmas gift, so I'm making christmas-y crafts and waffles inside with L. Who knew being a mom at Christmas would be as much fun as being a kid?

Banana Chocolate Waffles
1 cup wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking cocoa
2 tablespoons sugar
2 eggs, separated
1 cup milk
1 cup banana, mashed
6 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 - 1 cup chocolate chips

Blend flour, baking powder, salt, cocoa and sugar together; set aside. Beat egg yolks and milk together; add flour mixture, stirring until just blended. Fold in banana and melted butter; mix well.

In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff and peaks form; gently fold into batter. Add chocolate chips to taste (I made these a second time, and realized I originally told you to put in way too much chocolate - wishful thinking, I guess!). Bake on a waffle iron until the steam stops (or almost stops if you're a little impatient).

3 comments:

julie said...

Chocolate and banana?!? The crazy awesome is a given!!!

Leigh said...

that sounds awesome! I will definitely be making these - I always seem to have some mushy bananas sitting around... ;) Thanks for sharing!

Jenny Crill said...

We had these for breakfast this morning and they were gobbled up. Thanks for sharing the recipe!