4.27.2009

Yummy Yeast Rolls


This is one from our family cookbook. My mom got it from my Aunt Sheila, I don't know where she got it. I love this simple recipe, and I can't resist the smell of yeast. My version uses olive oil and half wheat flour (although white rolls are really yummy, too). I tripled the recipe last week - some to eat, some to freeze, and some to share.

Yeast Rolls (or Sunday Rolls)

1 package active dry yeast
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/4 cup warm water
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tsp salt
4 cups flour (half wheat, half white)
1/2 stick butter

Mix yeast, sugar and water. Let sit for 5 minutes. Add eggs and oil and mix with a whisk. Add salt and flour.

Cover and let stand 8 hours or overnight in a warm spot. Turn out on floured board and knead lightly. Roll into little balls, dip in butter and put two each in muffin tins. Let rise till double (2-4 hours). Bake 10-12 minutes in a 400 degree oven. Eat warm, store in refrigerator or freeze.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now those look really yummy.
Maybe I will go make some.

Love you,
Mom