11.08.2014

Old Testament Timeline Printable

Okay, I'll admit it: I started playing Christmas music yesterday. 

I'm getting ready for one of my favorite family traditions. During Advent we do a Jesse Tree, with readings and ornaments from the Old Testament that lead to the birth of Christ. I've noticed my children don't always have a good sense of how the different events relate to one another. For years, I've wanted a Bible Timeline to provide a context for the stories we tell. There are several commercial ones: most have a lot of text and dates and are more involved than I need. I really like this one with all the pictures, but its 10' long! That just won't work for our home. 

So I obsessed over it for 48 hours, and made my own. I drew a simple cartoon history of the Old Testament. It doesn't include every prophet and king and favorite story (because otherwise it would be 10' long!), but it provides a big picture, so when you're reading your favorite story you can point and say, "this happened here." I'm hoping it will help my kids develop a sense of the continuity of the story.


I drew the timeline over 5 sheets of paper, but through the magic of Adobe, I've squished it onto a single printable page. Yes, ONE page. The pictures are tiny, but they are simple and readable, so I think it works. 

And its for you, too! Wishing you a good Advent and blessed Nativity! Grab the printable PDF here - it includes a black and white page, and one with a little color.

If you don't want the teeny-tiny version, you can order it in poster from Zazzle in various sizes and paper qualities.  Its also available as this pretty 17 x 24" poster printed by Fine Art America. (Be sure to select: Size: natural.)
http://fineartamerica.com/products/old-testament-timeline-laura-wilson-poster.html


25 comments:

Hermione said...

This is great, thank you for sharing!

Erin C said...

Awesome, I love this! We do the Jesse Tree also and it will be great to have this. Thank you!

Orthodox Education said...

Wow...terrific! Thank you very much. This is a great FREE resource! Love seeing your creative ideas!

I saw you do the Jesse Tree this time of tear. I posted some medallions to make the tree in icons with the Prophets if you need it.

Wishing you a blessed Nativity,
Elenie

www.orthodoxeducation.blogspot.com

Christine said...

OH please do a New Testament one also! This is incredible, I love your talent...you made it simple yet artistic and whimsical. Perfect for kids and adults!

Anonymous said...

Thank you sooo much - I was looking for a "young child" friendly version of a timeline that small group leaders could keep with them and you made it!! Thanks for your time and for offering it for free - very much appreciated!!

Anonymous said...

Looks great! Thanks for sharing this resource. I know it will help in our history class.

Heather said...

Thank you so much! What a cool timeline! We will be using this in our homeschool for sure!

Tatum said...

I just wanted to say THANK YOU SO MUCH for this wonderful timeline! I am blessed to teach a daily scripture class to 14-18 year olds every morning before school and I cannot wait to use this in my classroom this year!! It will be so helpful for them in putting things into perspective as we go book by book through the Old Testament!

Thank you, again. Your goodness and creativity are blessing so many!

gramma/mom said...

Thank you so much for sharing! :)

Rebecca said...

Love this! I've saved it and will certainly use it in teaching and sharing the truth of the Word. Thank you!

Unknown said...

This is perfect! Thanks! We need the New Testament, please 🙏.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this!!! Thank you sooooo much! Hope my students appreciate as much as I do!!

priest's wife - S.T./ Anne Boyd said...

It won't let me print the pf :( is anyone else having this problem?

Nicki said...

This is so cool! Thank you for sharing. Will you ever do a New Testament version? : )

MarydeanDraws said...

Thanks! This will be helpful!! I love that it's hand-drawn. www.marydeandraws.com

April said...

Thanks so much-this is so great! I love how it's an Old Testament timeline that ends with Jesus' coming. I am going through the stories of the OT with my preschooler, talking about how they all point to Jesus, so this is perfect!

Looking for a pearl in PA. said...

Thank you so much! You have made such a useful teaching tool.

Anonymous said...

Love this!! this is wonderful!!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for sharing! I am doing a Genesis-Revelation overview with my students this year. We have a big timeline on the wall, but I love the idea of getting a concise timeline into their hands.

Unknown said...

Amazing! Thanks so much for making this available. It's really going to help the kids in my confirmation class have a much better understanding of the whole story of the Bible. Blessings to you! :)

Unknown said...

I will be teaching New Testament in August. Any chance you are working on that?
Thanks

ToTeCiTo said...

Genial!!

deenoble5494@yahoo.com said...

I really love this Old Testament time line..Do you happen to have a New Testament time line available? I am enjoying using this in a home study with two friends so they can see the whole Bible picture. Thank you for all your hard work. Dee Noble

Paper Gifts for Estefany said...

What a great idea! Thank you. I've shared it with my readers here: https://papergiftsforestefany.wordpress.com/2014/02/23/timeline-history/

Unknown said...

Thank you for this - I love the style of it and printed it today for my boys :-D