8.19.2011

Garden Stock

Every summer, I have grand visions of growing tons of food and canning it for the winter.  The reality is that my seedlings all dried up, and I'm still forgetting to water the tomatoes.  Nevertheless, I usually manage to learn a little every year.  This year, my great triumph was garlic.  My bulbs grew beautifully, I probably harvested them a little early, but I figured better safe than sorry.  Next year, I want to try my new love: acorn squash.  :)



Using stuff from my garden, a friend's CSA and our regular grocery veggies, I did make a pretty nice stock this summer.  This is a good guide.  Canning was more than I was prepared for this year (ah, yet again), so I froze mine in ice cubes. Once they're frozen, pop them out and put them in baggies. Super easy!

3 comments:

Chara said...

I've made Chicken stock several times and I like freezing it in ice cubes better than trying to can it. It's easier to put one or two ice cubes into something that doesn't need much stock than it is to open a new jar. Also, it's a good way to cool things down just before you put it on the table.

I want to know more about your garlic. i haven't had the nerve to try garlic, yet. We have squash coming out of our ears, though, and I didn't even plant most of it!

Caitlyn said...

I don't know if you do the slow cooker, but I love making stock in my slow cooker. I just save veggies, herb stems and bones etc. in a freezer bag. Then, when it's full I throw it with some peppercorns, a bay leaf, and salt (depending on if I want to make a salted stock or not). Then, I put it in the slow cooker for 12 hours on low. I love this method because I can never be home long enough for the stovetop method.

I feel like I've let myself down anytime I have to buy stock now, it's so simple!

Laura said...

Oh, the slow cooker is a great idea, Caitlyn! My stove makes my kitchen so hot in the summer - so that would be perfect!