Whew, two new patterns within a week? Crazy right?
I've been giving myself a number of projects to do for my book each month, and when I finish, then I can do any other sewing for the rest of the month. It's a great motivator, and I'm getting so much more done than I ever realized I could. So below, I want to share two things: a bit about my creative process, and a giveaway (
1. Sketch out pattern. Think, "this is perfect. I'll go ahead and cut out enough to make 4 dinosaurs in crazy cute fabrics!" Assemble two and realize there are all kinds of flaws (won't stand, skinny arms, puckering). Oops.
2. Adjust pattern. Cut out just one, but optimistically use the cute fabric again. It's better, but still needs work (still skinny arms, still puckering, still won't stand up). Give this prototype to the kids: they love misfits.
3. Draft version 3. Send it to husband to print at work. In the meantime, browse Abby's Elements of Soft Toy Design series at While She Naps. (If you want to try drafting your own patterns, you should definitely check this out!)
4. Slap head. See great idea on While She Naps, and decide to try something different. Forget version 3, enter Dinosaur 4.1. Huge improvement, very excited, but needs a little more work (stands up! nice arms, no puckering - whoa those legs are huge). Give Dino 4.1 to the kids.
5. Dinosaur 4.2 complete (with eyes). Put Dinos and pattern in the shop, smile a lot, and begin give away:
UPDATE:thanks everyone! We gave away 421 patterns. Enjoy, and be sure to let me know how it works for you!