9.29.2010

Tree Costume Tutorial


You can download the one page tutorial here, which is almost unnecessary. I probably should have just typed it into the blog post, but I think I'm addicted to Adobe Illustrator now.  This tree body was super easy.  I sat down and sewed both in about thirty minutes.  The leaves were a bit more time consuming.  I cut them out and sewed them on the hat by hand (the sleeves by machine) while watching a movie after the girls went to bed.  It took awhile, but it wasn't hard.  You could probably do it all on machine much faster if you were motivated. 


I made both costumes from a fleece throw blanket and a pair of green sweatpants from Goodwill, under $5, you can't be that.  These fabrics are great since they don't unravel, so I didn't finish any edges.  Which I think is the way it should be for a Halloween costume.

Oh yes, I also used some scrap green knit for L's hat and a head band for J.  I couldn't keep the head band on her, so maybe a hat that I can tie on is still in the works.  We'll see.  At the last minute I decided to add a little pocket to each tree trunk so we could put little woodland creatures in the trees.  L is sporting a squirrel. 

L is a very happy tree, J is running off to join her fellow saplings in the woods.

7 comments:

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Aww, that is so cute! I just downloaded it. The squirrel in the pocket is the best touch! I would love to link to this if you didn't mind.

MJ said...

I love it!!! Your girls look really happy in their costumes :) Well done!

Papgena Made It said...

oh! They are looooovvveeeeely!
Love the pocket detail with the squirrel!!!

Anne said...

What sweet little trees you have! LOVE the costumes!!

I linked to your tutorial over at Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-tree-costume-for-a-child/2010/10/01/

--Anne

wonderwheat said...

Super cute!!! I miss you guys so much! I can't wait to make crafty little outfits and toys and things for our little baby! You're so inspiring. You give me great ideas.

t sanders said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them!!

Super cute.

liz @keepingwithmyjoneses.blogspot.com said...

adorable!