4.09.2009

More Salvaged Cooking Disasters with Laura



If I had a cooking show, that's what it woud be called.

We take turns making breakfast at our church - my turn only comes around about twice a year. I decided to make this really great recipe: Strawberry Oatmeal Muffins. I got to use my new set of vintage Pyrex mixing bowls, and the muffins turned out great. However, the 75% of the batter I put in a bundt pan, totally fell apart. Doh.

It tasted really good, I just couldn't take crumbled bread for breakfast, could I? If I was my mother I would turn it into a gorgeous trifle. But I don't have a trifle bowl, and it's supposed to be finger food.


So, long story short - I made Strawberry Bread Pudding. My first bread pudding: it wasn't all that pretty, but boy, was it yummy. The butter floating on top didn't hurt. Here are the recipes:

Strawberry Oatmeal Muffins (I doubled this):
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease and flour muffin tins or bundt pan. Combine 1 cup oats, I cup milk, I TBSP apple cider vinegar and let stand for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, mix 1/2 cup all purpose flour and 1/2 cup whole wheat flour with 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda, and 1 tsp salt. Set aside.
Beat together 1 egg, 1 mashed banana, 3/4 cup brown sugar, a handful of flax meal, and 1/2 TBSP of pumpkin pie spice. Blend in oat mixture, then stir in flour mixture. Fold in 1 1/2 cup chopped strawberries.
Fill muffin tins 2/3 full, and bake 12 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
If you want it to fall apart, pour in bundt pan 2/3 full, and bake 45 minutes.

Strawberry Bread Pudding:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Crumble half a bundt pan's worth of Strawberry Oatmeal Muffin Bread in an 8x8" pan.
Drizzle 2 TBSP melted butter over bread
Beat 4 eggs. Add 2 cups milk, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1 tsp vanilla.
Bake 45 minutes or until top springs back when lightly tapped.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I found your blog through sewmamasew and wanted to commend your rescue of the bundt disaster. I had a similar thing happen to me last month - a strawberry cake I had backed fell apart as I was taking it out of the bundt pan. Glad to hear I am not alone. If I had only known about the possibilities of bread pudding at the time - I served crumbled cake.