1.23.2009

As if I Need More Mouths to Feed



At least these are just jars.

Here are my three starters. The Amish Friendship Bread starter that Brittany gave me (in the bag) has been bubbling away. I've started baking with it, but I'll have to share that story later. I'm going to try to pass on some this week.

The starter in the jar on the left gets its yeast from natural bacterias in the milk. It was pretty stinky, but it started working pretty quickly after I added the flour. I have started some bread from it, but it won't bake until tomorrow. Here is the starter recipe (I've already forgotten where I got it):
Cover 3 cups milk and let stand for 24 hours.
Add 2 cups flour, stir and cover, let stand in warm place several days.
Stir daily if separates, ready when bubbly and smells sour.


The last starter is supposed to catch wild yeast in the air. It has been covered with just a light cloth all week, and bubbles a little, but not a lot. I just fed it today, so it will be ready tomorrow for me to try another sourdough bread. It follows this recipe:
Mix 1/2 tsp honey, 1/2 whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup bottled water.
Cover lightly and let sit in a warm place. Stir twice a day for five days.
On day 6 add 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup water or milk. Let stand 24 hours.
Ready when bubbly.

No comments: