9.21.2011

Chickpea Burgers


I haven't had much luck with bean burgers over the years.  Until I tried chickpeas!  It was one of those days when you google the ingredients you have in your pantry to try to find an idea for dinner (come on, that's not just me, right?), and several variations of this gem appeared.  Goodbye, black beans! Here's my version.

Puree
1 can chickpeas
1 small can of green chiles
1/4 cup diced onions
salt and pepper

Then add oatmeal until the texture is doughy instead of mushy (a little less than a cup) and form into patties. Heat oil in a pan, then pan fry the patties about 4 minutes per side. Really moist and tasty.  Since the beans don't have a super strong flavor, you could try a number of other seasonings. 

3 comments:

Caitlyn said...

I make my black bean burgers the same way- but I love the addition of the green chiles. I usually use chipotle chili powder and cumin to flavor mine. I'll definitely try that!

jlj said...

I've been wanting to try a bean burger recipe but since I love chickpeas, this recipe looks even more tempting! One question, though - did you add the liquid? I assume one would drain the liquid and add just the chickpeas, but some recipes I compared it to included the liquid. Thanks!

Laura said...

jlj - I included the liquid. My blender won't work well without a little, so I just left it in.